Elemental Zone Forum
Visit us at www.ezsystemrepairs.com Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Elemental Zone Forum
Visit us at www.ezsystemrepairs.com Smile
Elemental Zone Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8)

3 posters

Go down

Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8) Empty Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8)

Post by Pctweaks Fri May 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Greetings ElementalQT Fans.

Did some research again and following few lines of text is a result of it.

To make WoW work better, the following lines got to be added in your config.wtf file located in WTF directory of your WOW instalation.

SET gxApi "d3d9ex" - Feature to the D3D graphic engine that will come fully in MOP, to improve texture management.

SET processAffinityMask "value" - This allows you to tell WoW how many processor cores your computer has and it will do its best to utilize them.
The "value" should be as follows:
* If you are running a single core processor, set this to 1 (sorry but you won't get any performance from this)
* If you are running a dual (2) core processor, set this to 3
* If you are running a triple (3) core processor, set this to 7
* If you are running a quad (4) core processor, set this to 15
* If you are running an 8 core processor, set this to 255.
Example: SET processAffinityMask "3"

Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8) Proces10

SET gxTextureCacheSize "value" - You can tell WoW how much memory should/can it use for textures in game instead of just letting WoW to decide.
I've tested it and you can easy put all of your card memory to WoW for best effect (assuming you're not doing something graphically intensive in the background), others say it's safer to give it a half or 3/4 of it though, and should be enough as well I suppose. Anyway it's for sure better to set it then leave it on auto.
The "value" should be as follows:
* If you have a 128mb card, set this to 128.
* If you have a 256MB video card, set this to 256.
* If you have a 512MB video card, set this to 512.
* If you have a 896MB video card, set this to 896.
* If you have a 1GB video card, set this to 1024.
Example: SET gxTextureCacheSize "1024"
Important: This option only workd with d3dex enabled

Following are optional settings, to be tested by yourselves what suits you best.

SET M2Faster "value" - Values can be between 0 - 3 (1 is default).
M2Faster changes the way our 3D model drawing engine approaches the task of drawing the scene, basically drawing objects in a more optimized order.
M2Faster can improve performance in crowded scenes when "Vertex Animation Shaders" is turned on. This function can be turned off by setting M2Faster to "0" in the config.wtf.
* Reduces the unique number of vertex shader permutations that we will choose to use in rendering
* Sorts the drawing of items in the scene a little differently to reduce the number of times we re-program the vertex shader hardware.
I've read a lot and seems with todays high end PC's it's best to set it to "3" for best effect, but it's individual PC configuration dependent.

SET timingMethod "value" - Values can be between 0 - 2 (0 as disabled/default)
This one is interesting.

Quote:

"You can significantly speed up WoW on Windows with a simple setting. Awhile ago a number of people figured out that if you run windows media player at the same time, the game runs faster! Unbelievable as this sounds, it’s true. And it is because media player tells Windows to use different timings which can be better for WoW. This works especially well on older or multicore computers but seems to help just about anyone if only just a little. You may see your load times go down and your frames per second go up.
Media Player essentially changes your thread scheduler timings using a windows API. This effects every program running on your computer. This tweak is fairly well known in other games and among server admins, but it was just discovered or rediscovered to work for WoW.
If you don’t care to run media player, or want to have all your computer resources available for WoW. You can directly configure WoW to act similarly using a special command.
Go to your chatline in the game and type either of these commands. Then, restart your game.

/console timingmethod 1
or
/console timingmethod 2

Blizzard hasn’t been specific on how they work. But setting the timing to 1 seems to help older computers and setting it to 2 seems to be better for multicore computers. Setting it to 1 is similar to running windows media player. Try both to see which works best. The official word is,
They’re different timing modes for the game that will do different things depending on how your mutlicore processor behaves. This command was first introduced in 2.0.3. timingmethod 1 is generally for systems where the cores do not synchronize. You might run into issues like your framerate caps at 64 instead of your vsync value. timingmethod 2 is a higher resolution timing method and you won’t hit the cap with that.
From what I understand, 2 can do that if your computer spends too much time thinking. It basically tells the game that it can think more often than being constrained by a time limit. You might experience similar behaviors with timingmethod 1 with a media program up, such as Windows Media Player. Those programs change the timing systemwide while they’re running.
There is also an equivalent way to set the timings if you don’t want to start your game twice. Go to your WTF folder and edit your Config.wtf file with a text editor like Notepad. The default location is C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf. Add the following line at the bottom.

set timingMethod "1"
or
set timingMethod "2"

If neither makes much of a difference or even worse causes problems, you can set it back to 0 on the chatline or delete the line from your config file."
So in summary - either try one of these settings or run WMP in background to get more performance ;-)

You can set all those things by yourself OR use a little awesome addon called TweakWoW
It lets you modify some console variables easily via interface options up to the real maximum. You can keep regulating practically all of those settings mentioned above with it (not timingMethod), nicely,simply done and all option explained in tips.
Few extra things you can do with it as well to your graphic view pleasure.
Check it out on linked site.

From other things you can try if you're NVidia user:
- Try turning off Transparency Antialiasing and Ambient Occlusion in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- NVIDIA PhysX drivers may have odd interactions with the video card's performance. If that is installed, try uninstalling or disabling the PhysX drivers. (Disabling PhysX can be done via the option located in the Windows Control Panel)
- NVIDIA GTX 200 series video cards may stay in power saving mode, giving you lower performance. Please check your power savings settings.

To be more specific, if you're running smoothly everywhere already, skip this post. Use the new engine for sure tho...
BUT if you experience lags in Dala or in intensive fights, try those settings out! OR at least start from runing Windows Media Player in the background (no need to run anything on it, just make it run player by itself) and see if it makes a difference.
I'm more then happy with effects.

My current added settings that work awesome are:

SET processAffinityMask "15" - as I got quad CPU
SET gxApi "d3d9ex" - new engine
SET gxTextureCacheSize "1536" - as I got 1,5 giga ram on GPU
SET M2Faster "3" - suppose to work best on high-end PC, and seems to
SET timingMethod "2" - suppose to work best on high-end PC, and seems to

That's it for now.
Enjoy.

Last edited by Pctweaks on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:12 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Image)
Pctweaks
Pctweaks
Admin

Back to top Go down

Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8) Empty Re: Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8)

Post by Varileztra Mon May 27, 2013 10:22 am

you are a nerd,my friend :-3
Varileztra
Varileztra

Back to top Go down

Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8) Empty Re: Improving World of Warcraft Performance ( Vista, XP,2000,Win7 and Win8)

Post by MrTwisted Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Cool stuff there. Nice article. Thought I'd try some of it out, see if I could get things to run a bit smoother, unfortunately not all worked :(For some reason SET gxApi "d3d9ex" just won't stick. WoW keeps pushin it back to D3D11 after some major lag and stutter. The only things that made much a dif, for myself,  were SET processAffinityMask  & SET gxTextureCacheSize. Slight fps increase (maybe 5?), but most important was getting the stuff to load on screen faster (flew my DK around Pandaland, max speed, to test). Was getting an average of 45fps on Ultra+(tweaked) graphics on my i3 and GTX650ti. My i3 OC'd to 3545MHz (3300 stock), GTX 650ti OC'd to 1200MHzcore/5600MHzmem (980MHz/5400MHz stock), and Mem running at 1933MHz Wink
I can list the graphics tweaks if anyone was interested. Just lets me know.
MrTwisted
MrTwisted

Back to top Go down

Post by MrTwisted Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Wanted to push your WoW graphics beyond "ultra"?
Here are a few of the graphics settings you can play with. All can be done in-game using the "/console" command. I'll list their values at the default ultra setting, and you can go from there Smile

The first is the Spell Effects. It tells your PC how much of the particles from spells to render. For this one you will have to go to your Config.wtf file in World of Warcraft>WTF folder. Open it with an editor (I use notepad++) and add the line
SET spellEffectLevel "value"
Replace the word value with the numerical value you want, you can go as high as your PC can handle! Ultra value is 10 but I've seen as high as 5000. This will kill your fps though, so not recommend that high. It has the biggest effect on AOE spells, so test it with one. I have mine set to 50, only because past that I can't actually see the person inside some storm effects! (like the Druids Hurricane/Astral Storm spell) You can play around with it's settings in-game using the /console command below..
/console spellEffectLevel 10   (Ultra Setting)

The next one on my list is ground density. It shows how much grass, pebbles, flowers, etc. pop up out of the ground, and how thick it is.You can change this in-game with the command below...
/console groundEffectDensity 128
128 is the ultra setting, and I think it will only go as high as 256. I currently have mine set to 192 just to help keep the fps from dropping too low. Great to add more depth to your WoW experience Wink

The next one also has to do with the ground effects, but it is how far away from you it will render those effects. The following command...
/console groundEffectDist 260
260 is the Ultra setting, and you can double it to roughly 600 I'm told, but I personally don't see any change above 520, where I have mine set.

Next is how far a distance you can see, the "View Distance" setting. The slider at max will only go to 1300, but this can be set to 1600, which will tell your computer to render as far as it can see. To change the setting, use the following command...
/console farclip 1300
This is most notable at peripheral views, at the sides of your screen, especially if you're using a muli-monitor display. I haven't played much with this one, because my PC can barely keep up (comfortably) with the previous settings mentioned.

You can also adjust the rendering of the sky! Using the command...
/console skyCloudLod 0
...will show a little more detail on the clouds and such, but it mostly effects the older zones. That's because they built a new form for the new zones that already shows lots of detail. You can sett this at default "0", "1", "2", or "3" only.

Those are the changes in settings I have for ya, and hope you enjoy! I will link a YouTube video of some one going over each, with in-game visuals, plus a few more that I haven't mentioned. Smile
As always, HAVE FUN!!

YouTube vid link...
https://youtu.be/esjIBC41fXI
I don't know the guy, I just luckily found his video.
MrTwisted
MrTwisted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum